When we went to buy this house, stylish was not on our list of “must haves”. If you are reader of this blog, you are already well aware how much we appreciate the retro styling of our bathroom. Well, I believe we successfully looked past the yellow’d bottom of a trophy marble paneling with pine tree and sea shell wall paper for as long as we possibly could. I’m sure everyone remembers these photos from our before pictures post:
After over a year of living here, our patience has run out, so we rather impulsively decided to execute our back-burnered bathroom remodeling plan leftover from December. For those of you who know me, I know you are all surprised when I made the responsible decision not to over do it in December, and that you’re amazed I managed to make it this long without just ripping the paneling off the wall. (Don’t worry! – I am just as shocked, and I’ll take those gold stars now!) After finding this inspiration photograph, we made a few changes to our initial plan in hopes of cutting some cost.
We started out slow. One night after work we took down the wall paper. Luckily, BOTH layers of wall paper came off in sheets with no water/vinegar mix.
Since we were trying to stay in budget, the next task was shopping around to find prices for all the items necessary to complete the renovation. We opted not to purchase a full vanity with top and instead chose to install a pedestal sink. While we’re on the topic of making purchases, I have to say it never seems to escape me that making all of the purchase for a DIY renovation can take nearly an entire day. This whole day event doesn’t even include the pre-shopping trips to make the decisions and determine the cost of items. This shopping excursion ALWAYS makes our first day of work the longest (for every project).
Getting back to the demo, once we removed the paneling we found a mess. Again, there were layers of “enhancements” to be removed as the previous owners choose not to remove the plastic tile and tile glue stuck to the wall before slapping up their paneling.
The bead board paneling we planned to install was much thinner than what we removed, so it was not a question that we would spend our first afternoon scraping glue and tiles off the wall.
All in all it wasn’t so bad. By the end of the first day, we successfully completed the demolition phase and were ready to start the transformation.