Impromptu Redo II

No, it did not take us an entire year to finish the bathroom remodeling project. Yes, it did take me an entire year to blog about it. Could I be a better blogger? Sure, go ahead judge me, but who cares our bathroom looks AWESOME! After the demolition was complete, it took us almost two weeks to get our bathroom put back together.

Bathroom After 1

We installed new paneling and new molding. We used the same window and base molding which matches the remainder of the molding we upgraded here. Caulked all of the seams using paintable molding caulk. There was so much of this to do that it took me almost one entire day. Then we painted on a fresh coat of gloss white paint. We opted for gloss paint in this room to make the surface of the paneling easier to wipe down.

Bathroom After 4

I researched different flooring options for a bathroom application, and based on our choice to leave in the existing flooring(not necessarily the best way but this worked for our budget), we opted for cork patterned floating vinyl plank flooring. I loved the look of the cork but needed the durability and installation perks of vinyl. The color turned out great it was warm, and it doesn’t show every single speck of dirt and hair. We had some tough corners to get the flooring around where two door frames met and inside of the linen closet. I created paper templates which helped reduce the number of mistakes on actual material. We found it easiest to cut the flooring with a pair of snips. We used a carpet installation razor blade in some instances, but the planks of floor were two layers thick which made it difficult. The floor installation took us a day and overall the installation was fairly easy especially once we got to the straight pieces. The thing to note when installing this floor is to make sure that all of the planks and adhering strips align correctly. Once these babies are stuck together, they are tough to get apart and the adhesive comes off making the piece nearly useless.

We also removed the doors and sanded them in preparation for a new coat of paint. While they were removed, we cut them down using a table saw to fit over the new layer of flooring.

As part of our remodel, we selected a new pedestal sink, a new medicine cabinet, and light fixture for above the sink. Everything looked so new and we were really excited once these items were installed. Max ran into the issues with the sink installation and we had to install some wood behind the wall to brace the sink.

Bathroom After 2

Bathroom After 3


For the paint color, we followed along with the inspiration picture with white paneling on white walls. We picked almost an ivory shade to keep the bright fresh warm feel. We used our favorite paint, Valspar Paint/Primer mix. Since the walls were in such bad condition, we applied two coats of paint. Once the paint was on the walls it really started to bring the room together.

Finally, we got to accessories. It took us a while to finally hang pictures on the wall and hang the shelves.

Bathroom After 5

These items put the finishing touch on the remodeling project. There are still a few more improvements we would like to complete in the room, but as I seem to be reminded in all aspects of my life lately, my work is never done!

Recent Reno – Post 5 of 6

WOOO! FIVE! We’re almost to the end! This day was a mismatch of solving problems, returning unused items to home stores, working on the finishing touches, and wrapping up cutting the molding. Again, my parents came out to support the efforts!

My Dad and Max kept plugging away on the molding. My mom and I painted some of the old molding in the family room (not replaced), ran errands, and painted the previously yellow spare room’s closet. It was a pretty full day and I was happy to reach the end of a few tasks. Nothing too major to show from my mom and my efforts. The window sill in the family room and the closet door appeared a bit yellowed which we repaired with a fresh coat of white gloss.

The major issue we were working on this day was that the HVAC register we removed needed to be replaced, but the slot for the register was very skinny as shown below.

The issue is that when we install the register grate over the hole, the molding has to sit on top of it. This is not a big deal and would probably never be noticed by the average home visitor (see below).

The problem is that once we nail down the molding there is no getting that register out of there, and when we go to replace the floor we need to be able to remove the register. In many cases, we’re going to do our best to follow recommended/best practice procedures, but sometimes snafoo’s like this one pop up. Then you’re faced with the dilemma or doing everything the “right way” just the way the works for us within our budget. We decided to temporarily install this molding by drilling pilot holes and partially hammering in some finish nails (not the threshold kind). This way  they could be pried out to remove piece of molding and the register when we go to install new flooring. Here was our solution:

We left  the nail sticking out about 1/4 inch, and only used a few nails to hold the molding to the wall until new flooring is installed at a later date.

As for the remainder of the changes on this day no progress was apparent in pictures, but it was important to call this day out for a very important safety lesson learned. When using  power tools,  exercise proper safety precautions and remember they are dangerous. This day came to a close with a visit to the ER, and Max getting a tetanus shot (he shot his thumb with the nailer – oops! We’re just glad it wasn’t the saw!). We were in and out pretty quick and Max was good to go in the morning. The next day’s plans were exciting- clean up and get the house back to normal!