Recent Reno – Post 5 of 6

WOOO! FIVE! We’re almost to the end! This day was a mismatch of solving problems, returning unused items to home stores, working on the finishing touches, and wrapping up cutting the molding. Again, my parents came out to support the efforts!

My Dad and Max kept plugging away on the molding. My mom and I painted some of the old molding in the family room (not replaced), ran errands, and painted the previously yellow spare room’s closet. It was a pretty full day and I was happy to reach the end of a few tasks. Nothing too major to show from my mom and my efforts. The window sill in the family room and the closet door appeared a bit yellowed which we repaired with a fresh coat of white gloss.

The major issue we were working on this day was that the HVAC register we removed needed to be replaced, but the slot for the register was very skinny as shown below.

The issue is that when we install the register grate over the hole, the molding has to sit on top of it. This is not a big deal and would probably never be noticed by the average home visitor (see below).

The problem is that once we nail down the molding there is no getting that register out of there, and when we go to replace the floor we need to be able to remove the register. In many cases, we’re going to do our best to follow recommended/best practice procedures, but sometimes snafoo’s like this one pop up. Then you’re faced with the dilemma or doing everything the “right way” just the way the works for us within our budget. We decided to temporarily install this molding by drilling pilot holes and partially hammering in some finish nails (not the threshold kind). This way  they could be pried out to remove piece of molding and the register when we go to install new flooring. Here was our solution:

We left  the nail sticking out about 1/4 inch, and only used a few nails to hold the molding to the wall until new flooring is installed at a later date.

As for the remainder of the changes on this day no progress was apparent in pictures, but it was important to call this day out for a very important safety lesson learned. When using  power tools,  exercise proper safety precautions and remember they are dangerous. This day came to a close with a visit to the ER, and Max getting a tetanus shot (he shot his thumb with the nailer – oops! We’re just glad it wasn’t the saw!). We were in and out pretty quick and Max was good to go in the morning. The next day’s plans were exciting- clean up and get the house back to normal!